Bajo del Tigre Reserve
Visit the unique rain shadow forest at Bajo del Tigre – in the heart of Monteverde!
Although located just a mile from the cloud forest, a drier climate means that many of the plant and animal species in Bajo del Tigre are different. Only about 40km2 of this rare “rain shadow forest” are protected in all of Costa Rica!
The unique sights and sounds of the tropical forest at night make a night walk at Bajo del Tigre a “must-do” for any visitor to Monteverde. Daily from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. Transportation available from local hotels.
In the day, enjoy a guided walk with an experienced nature guide (previous reservations required). Or, enjoy the trails at your own pace with our self-guided hike.
Why visit Bajo del Tigre?
- Just a mile from the cloud forest, it’s a completely different experience. The rare type of forest at Bajo del Tigre represents one of the most threatened ecosystems in Costa Rica.
- We don’t feed or manipulate wildlife – what you see is the real deal!
- Sunset view over the Gulf of Nicoya
- Visitors’ Center, “Casa de Niños” interpretive center, and Gift Shop
- 100% of the proceeds from your visit support the conservation and protection of the Children’s Eternal Rainforest, the largest private reserve in Costa Rica.