POCOSOL IS OPEN!
Pocosol Station provides an unmatched opportunity to get off the beaten tourist track and into the heart of Costa Rica’s rainforest. The station is open year round, and is accessible by 4-wheel drive vehicle from La Fortuna (1 hour) or La Tigra de San Carlos (40 minutes). Pocosol is one of the BEN’s two field stations nestled deep in the Children’s Eternal Rainforest, allowing visitors to experience firsthand the biodiversity and scenic beauty of the tropical rainforest.
Located on the Caribbean slope at about 720 meters above sea level, this premontane rainforest is dense and rich with epiphytes and a wide variety of resident and migrant birds, frogs, reptiles, and mammals. The station offers an ideal base from which to explore the surrounding rainforest and is open year-round to tourists, student groups, and researchers.
- 10 km of trails through primary and secondary rainforest, to a lake, a waterfall, and boiling mud pits
- Spectacular bird watching and an impressive bird list, including including the rare Bare-necked Umbrellabird (Cephalopterus glabricollis), endemic to Costa Rica and western Panama
- Spectacular views of the Peñas Blancas Valley
- Three delicious home-cooked meals per day, included in your stay
- Rooms with 2 to 3 bunks and private bathroom with hot water
- Internet (Wi-Fi) in the main areas
- Open-air classroom for talks and workshops
- Guided day and night hikes (prior reservations required)